This chapter documents the DIMS Ansible playbooks
ansible-dims-playbooks for short) repository.
This repository contains the Ansible playbooks and inventory
for a development/test environment. This is conventionally
known as a
local deployment, as it comprises a baremetal
host system intended to serve as an Ansible control host,
with a series of virtual machines to provide services.
1.1. Installation Steps¶
Before diving into the details, it is helpful to understand the high level tasks that must be performed to bootstrap a functional deployment.
- Install the base operating system for the initial Ansible control host that will be used for configuring the deployment (e.g., on a development laptop or server).
- Set up host playbook and vars files for the Ansible control host.
- Pre-populate artifacts on the Ansible control host for use by virtual machines under Ansible control.
- Instantiate the virtual machines that will be used to
provide the selected services and install the base operating
system on them, including an
ansibleaccount with initial password and/or SSH
authorized_keysfiles allowing access from the Ansible control host.
- Set up host playbooks, host vars files, and inventory definitions for the selected virtual machines.
- Validate that the Ansible control host is capable of connecting to all of the appropriate hosts defined in the inventory using Ansible ad-hoc mode.
- Finish customizing any templates, installed scripts, and secrets (e.g., passwords, certificates) unique to the deployment.